Saturday, May 1, 2010

Finals Time

So, exams started today. Well, to be honest they started weeks ago when I started thinking about them. But, this morning I had my very first one. I have two more on Wednesday, a paper to turn in by Saturday, then I'm done for the semester! Well, okay not done. See, exams always leave me with a sense of depression which I equate to post-pardem or the "baby blues". I know it's a time when I should feel lightened and stress-free, but for the first week after exams I wake up in the middle of the night panicking that I forgot to take an exam, or forgot to submit one correctly, or, the worst fear of all, that I enrolled in a class I forgot about, never went to and have, since, failed. It's horrible. But, I've honestly checked my school's website several times to see what courses I'm enrolled in and when my exams are. I'm a bit obsessive about it and that drive doesn't just vanish when school is over. I'm hoping that this year I can learn to cope with it better, we shall see.

But, the real point of this post was to share with everyone my brand new, and rather exciting, experiment. I'm going on a TV diet. I started yesterday when I knew I needed the full day to study and had no desire to get dressed and go to the library. So, while treating myself to a day in my PJs, I knew I had to force myself from not indulging in TV watching. As soon as I got up, I unplugged the TV and the cable and placed a towel over the set. If I had the urge to turn it on, I would first have to plug in two things and remove the towel. I tried to move the TV so the ends of the towel were stuck underneath but I feared that might be more dangerous than necessary.

So, for the full day, I was TV free and it was amazing. I laid in bed, studied for my exam, and took breaks with my friend Anne Bronte and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, which is surprisingly addictive. The apartment was so quiet, there were so many more hours in the day, and it was easy to go from study to break. And, I think while I was reading, my brain was passively working through my exam material, so when I went back to it, I had a better understanding of it. Part of my response to no TV might have simply come from the book I'm reading. I love Bronte novels. Charlotte is my favorite of the sisters, but Anne is a close second. I love how the characters of that time were most entertained by sitting and reading all day. I use to think that would be an admirable but boring way to live your life, but after yesterday it seems to be a worthwhile way to spend your time.

I'm not sure if it was the lack of other distractions or the fact that I was using the book as a means of distraction from studying, but I was enthralled in it, couldn't put it down, in a way I haven't been in quite some time. It was nice to go back to that. To be totally into a book and its characters. It was nice to be somewhere else without having to rely on the television to take me there.

So, today after I finished my exam, I settled down with my lunch and thought I'd treat myself to a bit of TV while I ate. I did and it was okay at first but it turned out to be so boring that I turned it off and "retired with my book" (as Anne Bronte would say). And I read for about two hours. I probably would have spent the same amount of time watching TV, if not more, but I wouldn't have gotten anything out of it. Now, I've read my book for awhile and am completely motivated to start working on what remains of my final exams.

Wish me luck, all, on my exams and my new TV diet! I will keep you updated on the progress of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment