I've been struggling lately with making my apartment feel more homey. The very nature of an apartment (stark white walls, predictable floor plans, 30 year old features and appliances) makes it very difficult to really turn one into your own, especially if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on window treatments, furniture, or wall art. But, while I've been a renter for the last 7 years, I feel a constant urge to turn my place into a cozy nest, something that just screams ROBYN.
When I was in college, I decided to remedy my colorless walls with a bit of my quasi-artistic skills. I painted two rather large paintings. One was composed of two canvases with birds on each, one flying up and the other flying down. I also incorporated fabrics on the canvas to give the painting texture. I also painted another piece composed of 8 canvases including a tree, nest, and two birds. I really liked these pieces. And, while I realize that they aren't "works of art", they make my walls look nicer. And they've followed me all the way to Maryland.
I've also toyed with curtains, having a ton of furniture, having no furniture, framed pictures, candles, and the old "pile of pillows that invite people to sit on the floor but no one ever does." Recently I decided to get rid of one of my bookcases. I, instead, filled my windowsills with books. I took my smaller book case, reorganized it, and placed some articles on top of it that really represent me (pottery my sister made, my collection of writing implements [quill, calligraphy pen, glass pen], a Pisces tile I got in Santa Fe, etc.). What helped most of all was that I spread things out in my apartment so that I could really see those things that I think identify me.
My apartment still doesn't feel like home, like a cozy nest, but it is on the mend. I have the things around me that remind me of who I am. I have my paintings and books that make me happy. I have less things than I need. My next goal is to replace my unused desk with a kitchen table that I can work and eat at (I'm tired of eating in front of the TV). I think it's really important to constantly reflect on who you are and make sure that your living space matches that perception. It brings such a sense of peace and calm to be home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment