I have a confession. I'm sort of obsessed with using up all of my groceries before I buy more. This tends to lead to "end of the week, let's try this out" sort of recipes where I throw everything in a pot (pan, bowl, etc.) and see what comes out. Well, last week I did this again and came out with a pretty good response. It's a dressed up tuna salad and it turned out really well. Here's the run down of ingredients. I just mixed everything together and let it sit overnight. Feel free to adjust amounts and ingredients. And, if you think something else would be delicious in this, let me know! I think banana peppers or olives would be tasty.
3 cans of tuna, drained (splurge on "nice" tuna, it tastes MUCH better)
half a head of cabbage, shredded
4 carrots, shredded (use the veggie peeler to "peel" the carrots into fun strips, this is faster than dicing)
mayo (as much or little as you want to make the right consistency)
a few tsps of mustard
diced pickles
diced onions
some marinated mushrooms (I threw the garlicky juice from the mushrooms in as well)
I also tried to use as many organic ingredients as possible (carrots, mayo, mustard) for a better taste. This was good on its own and over greens. Mmm. The cabbage and carrots softened overnight, which made this, really, a sort of tuna salad, coleslaw type of hybrid.
In an attempt to get all this tuna eaten before too long, I brought some over to the BF's house. He decided to use it to make tuna cakes. He took the tuna salad I made and mixed it with an egg, breadcrumbs, and some spices. He then formed patties and cooked them in a little olive oil till they were brown on both sides. We ate them on a bed of greens with sliced tomatoes and a little homemade tarter sauce (organic mayo and some diced pickles). The tuna cakes were amazingly delicious! They had a ton of flavor and were a nice twist on the tuna salad in its original state.
So, there you have it, two new accidental recipes. Enjoy!
Monday, September 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment