(This post might initially come off as another "feminist rant", but trust me, it isn't.)
I'm really annoyed by cleaning products commercials. The person doing the cleaning is ALWAYS a woman. Whether it's bleach, bathroom cleaner, mops, anything that relates to cleaning is marketed by a woman. And, more often than not, the woman is cleaning up after some cute but messy children and/or her bumbling husband who just can't figure out how to work a vacuum.
Now, I'm serious when I say that my annoyance is not rooted in my anger with the message that "only women can use these products because women are not only good at cleaning-they enjoy cleaning!" (Though, admittedly, that does annoy me a bit.) My real annoyance comes from the fact that I have lived with a lot of different girls in my life (sisters, roommates, friends, etc.) and they are all messy! Some have been just cluttered, some have been neglectful of cleanliness, and some have just been down right slobs.
How have marketing experts not been aware of this for so long? Well, sorry to admit this ad men of the world, but most women don't enjoy cleaning. And most aren't particularly good at it. So, if you really want to sell your products, you should market them towards people who enjoy a clean house, not a gender who is assumed to be in love with a sparkling clean bathroom.
Monday, February 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment