Monday, December 14, 2009

OCD Closet

The last time I did laundry, I decided to go a little nuts and not hang my clothes up in the standard way I normally do (first by sleeve length, then sub-divided by neck opening, starting with the sleeveless shirts on the left hand side and long sleeves on the right). I just threw the clothes willy-nilly into the closet. I thought it would feel liberating and break me from the cycle of having to have things a certain way. Not to mention the time I would save not reorganizing my closet after every load of laundry. I even left some empty hangers in the midst of clothes still hanging up. That is something I rarely, if ever, do.

But, my attempts at "freedom" didn't last long. In my post-exams stress relieving momentum, I quickly turned to my "messy" closet and reorganized the shirts, moved all the empty hangers to the left-hand side and put all the shoes back in the shoe rack (by color, of course). And then I stepped back, looked at my closet, and it was good.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem. I went about three weeks without organizing my closet. It was frustrating. I thought it would make me feel better, not to have to do a lot of organizing each time I did laundry, but it was just harder to find my clothes in the morning.

    My new organization by color is - believe it or not - the best ever. Because I often pick out the pants first, and then need a certain color to go with the pants. Life is easy. Life is simple.

    I wish it were that way with everything.

    ReplyDelete